Sunday, January 1, 2012

We rang in the new year last night with a house full of hyper kiddos (5 total), some party poppers, sparkling watermelon flavored juice, some PS3 action, and a movie about an orphaned Polar Bear.  


I was watching my friend's two kids for her since she had to ring in the new year at work.  I know I got the better end of that deal.


Pumpkin passed out first at around 10pm (WAY past her usual bedtime) and we lost the boys to slumber at 10:30. But the girls were obviously new year's enthusiasts because they actually made it until 12:15am.  


And I'm sure, like most parents across the world this morning, I had hopes of children who would sleep in. But instead I was awakened by Peanut poking me at 6:15am and asking for a movie.  


"Are you kidding me?!?!" I asked.  I went downstairs and found all the kids sitting on the couch, wide awake.  The boys had woke up at 6am and decided to sneak downstairs to wake up the girls.  Happy New Year to me. 


Two cups of coffee and "Despicable Me" later, I'm in a much better mood.  And hoping that today's start of 2012 is not indicative of what the rest of the year holds.  


In the midst of my frustrations with my children this morning, I remembered a poem I read on the side of a tea box once.  Today I will be printing this poem out and posting it in my kitchen.  I think this will be one of my resolutions for 2012.




If I Had My Child to Raise Over Again 
by Diane Loomans


If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd finger-paint more, and point the fingers less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I would care to know less and know to care more.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites. 
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.


I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I would be firm less often, and affirm much more.
I'd teach less about the love of power, 
And more about the power of love.


Happy New Years!





No comments: